[openstack-dev] [tripleo] containerized undercloud update

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Fri Dec 1 15:05:55 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Just wanted to share some progress with the containerized undercloud work.
> Ian pushed some of the patches along and we now have a successful undercloud
> install with containers.
>
> The initial undercloud install works [1]
> The idempotency check failed where we reinstall the undercloud [2]
>
> Question: Do we expect the reinstallation to work at this point? Should the
> check be turned off?

So I would say for the undercloud-container's job it's not required at
this point but for the main undercloud job yes it is required and
should not be disabled. This is expected functionality that must be
replicated in the containers version in order to make the switch.  The
original ask that I had was that from an operator perspective the
containerized install works exactly like the non-containerized
undercloud.

> I will try it w/o the idempotency check, I suspect I will run into errors in
> a full run with an overcloud deployment.  I ran into issues weeks ago.  I
> suspect if we do hit something it will be CI related as Dan Price has been
> deploying the overcloud for a while now.  Dan I may need to review your
> latest doit.sh scripts to check for diffs in the CI.

What I would propose is switching the undercloud-containers job to use
the 'openstack undercloud install --use-heat' command and we switch
that to non-voting and see how it performs. Originally when we
discussed this I wanted that job voting my milestone 1. Milestone 2 is
next week so I'm very concerned at the state of this feature.  Do we
have updates and upgrades with the containerized undercloud being
tested anywhere in CI? That was one of items that I had mentioned[0]
as a requirement to do the switch during the queens cycle. What I
would really like to see is that we get those stable and then we can
work on actually testing overcloud deploys and the various scenarios
with the containerized undercloud.  If we update oooq to support
adding the --use-heat flag it would make testing all the scenarios
fairly trivial with a single patch and we would be able to see where
there are issues.

Thanks,
-Alex

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123065.html