[openstack-dev] [tripleo] containerized undercloud update

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Fri Dec 1 15:12:04 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:05 AM, Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Just wanted to share some progress with the containerized undercloud work.
>> Ian pushed some of the patches along and we now have a successful undercloud
>> install with containers.
>>
>> The initial undercloud install works [1]
>> The idempotency check failed where we reinstall the undercloud [2]
>>
>> Question: Do we expect the reinstallation to work at this point? Should the
>> check be turned off?
>
> So I would say for the undercloud-container's job it's not required at
> this point but for the main undercloud job yes it is required and
> should not be disabled. This is expected functionality that must be
> replicated in the containers version in order to make the switch.  The
> original ask that I had was that from an operator perspective the
> containerized install works exactly like the non-containerized
> undercloud.
>

>> I will try it w/o the idempotency check, I suspect I will run into errors in
>> a full run with an overcloud deployment.  I ran into issues weeks ago.  I
>> suspect if we do hit something it will be CI related as Dan Price has been
>> deploying the overcloud for a while now.  Dan I may need to review your
>> latest doit.sh scripts to check for diffs in the CI.
>>

> What I would propose is switching the undercloud-containers job to use
> the 'openstack undercloud install --use-heat' command and we switch
> that to non-voting and see how it performs. Originally when we

Oops s/non-voting/voting/.  I would like that job voting but I know
we've seen failure issues in comparison with the instack-undercloud
job. That however might be related to the number of times we run the
undercloud-containers job (on all THT patches) than the instack jobs
(just puppet-tripleo and instack-undercloud). So we really need to
understand the passing numbers.