[openstack-dev] [cinder] LVM vs BDD drivers performance tests results

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:41:41 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Ivan Kolodyazhny <e0ne at e0ne.info> wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> We did some performance tests [1] for LVM and BDD drivers. All tests were
> executed on real hardware with OpenStack Mitaka release. Unfortunately, we
> didn't have enough time to execute all tests and compare results. We used
> Sahara/Hadoop cluster with TestDFSIO and others tests.
>
> All tests were executed on the same hardware and OpenStack release. Only
> difference were in cinder.conf to enable needed backend and/or target
> driver.
>
> Tests were executed on following configurations:
>
>    - LVM +TGT target
>    - LVM+LocalTarget: PoC based on [2] spec
>    - LVM+LIO
>    - Block Device Driver.
>

> Feel free to ask question if any about our testing infrastructure,
> environment, etc.
>

> [1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qS_
> ClylqdbtbrVSvwbbDpdWNf2lZPR_ndtW6n54GJX0/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Regards,
> Ivan Kolodyazhny,
> http://blog.e0ne.info/

> ​Thanks Ivan, so I'd like to propose we (the Cinder team) discuss a few
things (again):

1. Deprecate the BDD driver
 Based on the data here LVM+LIO the delta in performance ​(with the
exception of the Terravalidate run against 3TB) doesn't seem significant
enough to warrant maintaining an additional driver that has only a subset
of features implemented.  It would be good to understand why that
particular test has such a significant peformance gap.

2. Consider getting buy off to move the default implementation to use the
LIO driver and consider deprecating the TGT driver

I realize this probably isn't a sufficient enough data set to make those
two decisions but I think it's at least enough to have a more informed
discussion this time.

Thanks,
John​