[openstack-dev] [cinder] LVM vs BDD drivers performance tests results

Ivan Kolodyazhny e0ne at e0ne.info
Mon Sep 19 10:43:38 UTC 2016

Hi team,

We did some performance tests [1] for LVM and BDD drivers. All tests were
executed on real hardware with OpenStack Mitaka release. Unfortunately, we
didn't have enough time to execute all tests and compare results. We used
Sahara/Hadoop cluster with TestDFSIO and others tests.

All tests were executed on the same hardware and OpenStack release. Only
difference were in cinder.conf to enable needed backend and/or target
driver.

Tests were executed on following configurations:

   - LVM +TGT target
   - LVM+LocalTarget: PoC based on [2] spec
   - LVM+LIO
   - Block Device Driver.

Feel free to ask question if any about our testing infrastructure,
environment, etc.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qS_ClylqdbtbrVSvwbbDpdWNf2lZPR_ndtW6n54GJX0/edit?usp=sharing
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/247880/