[openstack-dev] [ironic] openstack/python-ironicclient

Ruby Loo opensrloo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 15:51:34 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Galyna Zholtkevych <
gzholtkevych at mirantis.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Ironic community needs a help to decide on the specification
>
> of the openstack client command that provide the same functionality as
>
> 'ironic driver-raid-logical-disk-properties' .
>
> Some propositions violate openstack client conventions for a user.
>
> For now the available propositions are:
>
>     * openstack baremetal driver raid-logical-disk-properties show
>
>     * openstack baremetal driver show --raid-logical-disk-properties
>
>     * openstack baremetal driver raid logical disk properties show
>
>     * openstack baremetal driver show raid-logical-disk-properties
>
>     * openstack baremetal driver show raid logical-disk-properties
>

> Reference to the appropriate discussion: https://bugs.launchpad.net/
> python-ironicclient/+bug/1619052

Hi Galyna,

Thanks for asking. These two won't work because 'openstack baremetal driver
show' exists as a command, and the code won't be able to interpret these as
different commands:

   * openstack baremetal driver show raid-logical-disk-properties

   * openstack baremetal driver show raid logical-disk-properties

I think the OSC way is to use English so of these two, probably the second
one is the right way:

    * openstack baremetal driver raid-logical-disk-properties show

    * openstack baremetal driver raid logical disk properties show

My preference is:

    * openstack baremetal driver show --raid-logical-disk-properties

because we already have 'openstack baremetal driver show' as a command, and
other than wanting to see a description of the logical disk properties, the
only other command related to the disk properties is 'openstack baremetal
node set --target-raid-config'.

The problem, though, is that this only shows the disk properties, nothing
else about the driver. The information is different, so that trying to use
this command to show the driver information AND the disk property
descriptions, doesn't make sense either.

If we thought that we might have some 'openstack baremetal driver raid
<something-else>' command in the future, then 'openstack baremetal driver
raid logical disk properties show' might make more sense. (Now I'm leaning
towards this one.)

Do we really want a way for the user to get this information? Another
choice is not to provide any command for this. (Just kidding.)

--ruby