[openstack-dev] [ironic] openstack/python-ironicclient

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:38:39 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Ruby Loo <opensrloo at gmail.com> wrote:

> My preference is:
>
>     * openstack baremetal driver show --raid-logical-disk-properties

Agreed here.

The process we encourage is always to first identify the resource you are
operating on.  I would add that a 'property' is not a resource, it
describes a resource, there may be many of them per resource, etc.  Here,
the resource is 'baremetal driver'.

because we already have 'openstack baremetal driver show' as a command, and
> other than wanting to see a description of the logical disk properties, the
> only other command related to the disk properties is 'openstack baremetal
> node set --target-raid-config'.

Possible confusion on my part... the properties you want to display as part
of 'baremetal driver show' are set with 'baremetal node set'?  That
assymetry may be part of the reason this was ambiguous to start with.

> The problem, though, is that this only shows the disk properties, nothing
> else about the driver. The information is different, so that trying to use
> this command to show the driver information AND the disk property
> descriptions, doesn't make sense either.
>

> If we thought that we might have some 'openstack baremetal driver raid
> <something-else>' command in the future, then 'openstack baremetal driver
> raid logical disk properties show' might make more sense. (Now I'm leaning
> towards this one.)

To generalize a bit more, if the 'baremetal driver' has different kinds of
properties, or groups of properties that you want to distinguish, I would
suggest doing that with a common option name like you have above:
'--raid-logical-disk-property' and defining more of those as you need
them.  But use the same approach where you set the properties too, etc.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com