[openstack-dev] [all][tc] "production line" changes to multiple projects

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Oct 22 13:56:30 UTC 2016

On 10/22/2016 6:52 AM, Amrith Kumar wrote:
> Is there something we can do about the “production line” changes like
>

> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/Update+.gitignore+to+ignore+.idea+of+PyCharm
>

> These kinds of changes, and this is by no means the only one, are aimed
> at bringing ‘standardization’ to all OpenStack projects. Unfortunately,
> when all projects don’t agree with the attempt at standardization, we
> end up with a lack of standardization across OpenStack.
>

> How do we go about handling these kinds of changes that are causing a
> fair amount of churn with little real benefit? Is there anything we can
> do or is the best recommendation that projects just grin and bear it?
>

> -amrith

Love and hugs is probably the only solution.

Obviously different projects have different degrees of strictness on
their .gitignore file.

As pointed out in another thread by you for something related, I can't
remember exactly what that one was about but it was an unnecessary
global change, the best you can probably do right now is education in
the code review about why you disagree with the change.

I'm not sure if hacking runs on .gitignore files but it seems you could
make that happen, and then add a rule to hacking, either in your project
or globally, to fail pep8 if there are editor-specific files added to
.gitignore.

Matt Riedemann