[openstack-dev] Event notification descriptors/schemas (? swagger ?)

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Tue Oct 11 19:27:50 UTC 2016

On 11/10/16 01:14 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:

> Ah, right, nearly forgot about that yaml. Thanks gordon!
>
> Has there been any ideas from folks to split those
> 'event_definitions.yaml' into something else (a notifications schema
> repo?)? I'd be up for helping do that (nice to have would be an included
> ability/code-gen(?) to turn those schemas into code for various
> languages [starting with the typical ones, python, go(?), java, <add
> your own>...]).

a few years back there was discussion to house them in a completely
separate service but no work was really done on that beyond the initial
discussion[1]

from Ceilometer pov, i wanted the projects to own their own definitions
but others said it was not their job[2]. having the projects own their
own schema/definitions allowed everything to be decoupled but i don't
think we figured out how to make it discoverable without having to
import the entire package.

> Then we could also hold the emitting projects accountable for there
> events being emitted (and the formats and versions they emit), because
> overall I'd like to get away from 'the payload format OpenStack services
> emit could be described as the Wild West' (found on that events.html
> site, lol).

i'd like this to but it doesn't seem like we can figure out who's
responsibility it is to own format.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-crossproject-notifications
[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/080063.html