[openstack-dev] Event notification descriptors/schemas (? swagger ?)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Oct 11 17:14:33 UTC 2016

gordon chung wrote:

> On 10/10/16 04:48 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>> So the question started to be raised of is there a documented
>> format/schema for the events that are being emitted from<all the
>> various services>  (there seems to be some at
>> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/notifications.html)?
>
> we have something to this extent in Ceilometer Events[1]. it's basically
> some version of StackTach as it was the original work to integrate the two.
>

> the actual schemas are housed in a giant definition file[2]. this was
> suppose to be split into multiple files but see: "bigger issues, no
> resources". originally, i had hoped that the services could each manage
> their own file but we got some push back on that[3] but it's still
> something i'd hope we could do.
>
> [1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/events.html
> [2]
> https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/etc/ceilometer/event_definitions.yaml
> [3] can't find it.
>
> cheers

Ah, right, nearly forgot about that yaml. Thanks gordon!

Has there been any ideas from folks to split those
'event_definitions.yaml' into something else (a notifications schema
repo?)? I'd be up for helping do that (nice to have would be an included
ability/code-gen(?) to turn those schemas into code for various
languages [starting with the typical ones, python, go(?), java, <add
your own>...]).

Then we could also hold the emitting projects accountable for there
events being emitted (and the formats and versions they emit), because
overall I'd like to get away from 'the payload format OpenStack services
emit could be described as the Wild West' (found on that events.html
site, lol).

-Josh