[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Allowing Teams Based on Vendor-specific Drivers

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Nov 29 21:10:35 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-29 21:00:06 +0000 (+0000), Sam Betts (sambetts) wrote:
[...]
> Additionally, being “official” indicates a level of maturity which
> benefits us as a project by improving the public perception of our
> drivers, and also indicates to OpenStack users that OpenStack
> itself is mature and has support for existing technologies and
> physical equipment out of the box. We want to make the Cisco
> drivers visible/discoverable so that operators evaluating
> OpenStack for their use cases will easily be able to know if a
> driver for their equipment exists without digging around in git
> repos.
>
> In our current state (not an official project or under an official
> project) we can’t publish our existence, releases or docs to any
> official location on *.openstack.org which makes it difficult for
> those new to OpenStack to know we exist, or find any information
> on how to deploy/use Cisco equipment with OpenStack.

[Please trim quoted material and avoid top-posting.]

Would better visibility for
https://www.openstack.org/marketplace/drivers/ (perhaps with a more
navigable UI and updated for the latest release) address those
concerns? I absolutely want service teams to have a mechanism by
which they can list known working/supported drivers in an
official-looking place so vendors can point their customers at that.

I also feel very strongly that those alone would be terrible reasons
to consider becoming an official project team under the governance
of the OpenStack Technical Committee. Our project governance is not
intended as a means of marketing and advertising products, and I'm
going to do my best to make sure that it's extremely ineffective at
that for any companies who try to (ab)use it to those ends.
--
Jeremy Stanley