[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Allowing Teams Based on Vendor-specific Drivers

Sam Betts (sambetts) sambetts at cisco.com
Tue Nov 29 21:00:06 UTC 2016

There are a couple of reasons we want to become an official OpenStack project.

From a project perspective, we want to be recognized that the project isn’t just a “public source” repo for Cisco’s drivers but is a community driven open source project for supporting Cisco hardware/software and we want to encourage community members that are using Cisco equipment to participate with us contributing to and helping improve the drivers.

Additionally, being “official” indicates a level of maturity which benefits us as a project by improving the public perception of our drivers, and also indicates to OpenStack users that OpenStack itself is mature and has support for existing technologies and physical equipment out of the box. We want to make the Cisco drivers visible/discoverable so that operators evaluating OpenStack for their use cases will easily be able to know if a driver for their equipment exists without digging around in git repos.

In our current state (not an official project or under an official project) we can’t publish our existence, releases or docs to any official location on *.openstack.org which makes it difficult for those new to OpenStack to know we exist, or find any information on how to deploy/use Cisco equipment with OpenStack.

Sam

On 28/11/2016, 19:14, "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

    On 11/28/2016 01:33 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
    > I'm raising this as an issue because it's not just a hypothetical
    > problem. The Cisco networking driver team, having been removed from
    > the Neutron stadium, is asking for status as a separate official
    > team [1]. I would very much like to find a way to say "yes, welcome
    > (back)!"

    These questions are to the Cisco networking team.

    What value do *you* think you derive from being an official OpenStack
    project team?

    What value do you believe OpenStack *users* would get from you being an
    official OpenStack project team?

    If you are *not* accepted as an official OpenStack project team, what
    actual impact would that have on OpenStack users, if any?

    Thanks in advance for your answers.

    Best,
    -jay