[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Allowing Teams Based on Vendor-specific Drivers

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Nov 29 21:40:56 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2016-11-29 21:10:35 +0000:
> On 2016-11-29 21:00:06 +0000 (+0000), Sam Betts (sambetts) wrote:
> [...]
> > Additionally, being “official” indicates a level of maturity which
> > benefits us as a project by improving the public perception of our
> > drivers, and also indicates to OpenStack users that OpenStack
> > itself is mature and has support for existing technologies and
> > physical equipment out of the box. We want to make the Cisco
> > drivers visible/discoverable so that operators evaluating
> > OpenStack for their use cases will easily be able to know if a
> > driver for their equipment exists without digging around in git
> > repos.
> >
> > In our current state (not an official project or under an official
> > project) we can’t publish our existence, releases or docs to any
> > official location on *.openstack.org which makes it difficult for
> > those new to OpenStack to know we exist, or find any information
> > on how to deploy/use Cisco equipment with OpenStack.
>
> [Please trim quoted material and avoid top-posting.]
>
> Would better visibility for
> https://www.openstack.org/marketplace/drivers/ (perhaps with a more
> navigable UI and updated for the latest release) address those
> concerns? I absolutely want service teams to have a mechanism by
> which they can list known working/supported drivers in an
> official-looking place so vendors can point their customers at that.
>
> I also feel very strongly that those alone would be terrible reasons
> to consider becoming an official project team under the governance
> of the OpenStack Technical Committee. Our project governance is not
> intended as a means of marketing and advertising products, and I'm
> going to do my best to make sure that it's extremely ineffective at
> that for any companies who try to (ab)use it to those ends.

This struck me as overly aggressive. Open Source is a social model, and
if a commercial entity would like to participate in that social model
in good faith, I think that's beneficial to everyone else. Throwing
up a "not for commercial use" barrier to their participation will just
discourage them and others from investing more.