[openstack-dev] [tripleo] POC patch for using tripleo-repos for repo setup

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 23:26:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a POC patch[1] up to demonstrate the use of the tripleo-repos tool
> [2] as a replacement for most of tripleo.sh --repo-setup.  It has now passed
> all of the CI jobs so I wanted to solicit some feedback.
>
> There are a few changes related to repo naming because the tool names repo
> files based on the repo name rather than always calling them something
> generic like delorean.repo.  I think it's less confusing to have the
> delorean-newton repo file named delorean-newton.repo, but I'm open to
> discussion on that.
>
> If no one has any major objections to how the tool looks/works right now,
> I'll proceed with the work to get it imported into the openstack namespace
> as part of TripleO.  We can always iterate on it after import too, of
> course, so this isn't a speak now or forever hold your peace situation. :-)

Why a python standalone application for the management of specifically
(and only?) tripleo repositories.  It seems we should be trying to
leverage existing tooling and not hiding the problem behind a python
app.  It's not that I enjoy the current method described in the spec
(3 curls, 1 sed, 1 bash thing, and a yum install) but it seems like to
write 586 lines of python and tests might be the wrong approach.
Would it be better to just devote some time to rpm generation for
these and deliver it in discrete RPMs?  'yum install
http://tripleo.org/repos-current.rpm' seems way more straight forward.

Thanks,
-Alex