[openstack-dev] [PTLs][all][mentoring] Mentors needed in specific technical areas

Augustina Ragwitz aragwitz.lists at pobox.com
Wed May 25 02:12:28 UTC 2016

>> On 12:54 May 24, Augustina Ragwitz wrote:
>> Hi Emily,
>>
>> I'm the Nova Mentoring Czar and we have a Wiki page with a list of
>> projects that would be good for new contributors:
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Mentoring
>>
>> For Nova, I'd encourage potential contributors to get involved with a
>> specific project so that mentoring can happen organically. Interested
>> folks are more than welcome to reach out to me, preferably by email.
>
> There's an assumption here that all projects have things in place
> to begin
> mentoring people. With the people we've spoken to, sometimes just
> reaching on
> IRC gave no answers. This is actually matching people to
> someone who has
> knowledge and is interested/has time to mentor. Even if a match
> can't be made
> right away, communication is made. First impressions with on
> boarding is key.
>
> --
> Mike Perez

I'm a little confused by your response. I wasn't making any assumptions
or intending to criticize this mentorship program. I understood that
Emily had highlighted gaps in certain technical areas, of which Nova is
one. In recognition of the challenges faced by new contributors, the
Nova team had a session at the Newton Design Summit where we discussed
ideas on how to address these challenges within our own team. One
outcome of this session is that I volunteered for the role of Mentoring
Czar. When I saw Emily's original post, I thought this information might
be relevant. My intention is to share our resources for new contributors
and present myself as a contact point so this information could be
provided to participants in the mentorship program that don't have
mentors assigned. In fact, if other projects do have things in place for
new contributors, it would probably be helpful if they also provided
this information to the mentorship program.

Again, my intention was not to criticize and I think any effort to
encourage new contributors is a good thing. I apologize if my original
response suggested otherwise.

--
Augustina Ragwitz
irc: auggy