[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue May 24 11:24:23 UTC 2016

On Tue, 24 May 2016, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Chris Dent wrote:
>> So that, of course, leads back to the original question: Is OpenStack
>> supposed to be a unitary.
>
> As a data point, since I heard that question rhetorically asked quite a few
> times over the past year... There is an old answer to that, since a vote of
> the PPB (the ancestor of our TC) from June, 2011 which was never overruled or
> changed afterwards:
>
> "OpenStack is a single product made of a lot of independent, but cooperating,
> components."
>
> The log is an interesting read:
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2011/openstack-meeting.2011-06-28-20.06.log.html

That is an interesting read, thank you for pointing that out. It all
feel very familiar.

As someone who has only entered the community in the last two years, and
when I did enter I was completely uninitiated (in the sense that I had
never really even heard of OpenStack so didn't have much in the way of
preconceived notions), I can say that the meaning and message behind
that quote was _not_ drilled into me. If we want it to be true and
active part of our culture, it should have been.

I'm not certain I have a strong preference for how things should be
either way (reading the log I felt a lot of empathy for notmyname's
position and thought "we'd be a much different (maybe better, unclear)
thing now if we'd headed that way") but I can say unequivocally that
it would make decision processes, now, much better if we could commit
to one way.

--
Chris Dent               (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻            http://anticdent.org/