[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 24 10:19:09 UTC 2016

Chris Dent wrote:
> [...]
> I don't really know. I'm firmly in the camp that OpenStack needs to
> be smaller and more tightly focused if a unitary thing called OpenStack
> expects to be any good. So I'm curious about and interested in
> strategies for figuring out where the boundaries are.
>
> So that, of course, leads back to the original question: Is OpenStack
> supposed to be a unitary.

As a data point, since I heard that question rhetorically asked quite a
few times over the past year... There is an old answer to that, since a
vote of the PPB (the ancestor of our TC) from June, 2011 which was never
overruled or changed afterwards:

"OpenStack is a single product made of a lot of independent, but
cooperating, components."

The log is an interesting read:
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2011/openstack-meeting.2011-06-28-20.06.log.html

--