[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:34:03 UTC 2016

On 05/24/2016 06:19 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Chris Dent wrote:
>> [...]
>> I don't really know. I'm firmly in the camp that OpenStack needs to
>> be smaller and more tightly focused if a unitary thing called OpenStack
>> expects to be any good. So I'm curious about and interested in
>> strategies for figuring out where the boundaries are.
>>
>> So that, of course, leads back to the original question: Is OpenStack
>> supposed to be a unitary.
>
> As a data point, since I heard that question rhetorically asked quite a
> few times over the past year... There is an old answer to that, since a
> vote of the PPB (the ancestor of our TC) from June, 2011 which was never
> overruled or changed afterwards:
>
> "OpenStack is a single product made of a lot of independent, but
> cooperating, components."
>
> The log is an interesting read:
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2011/openstack-meeting.2011-06-28-20.06.log.html

Hmm, blast from the past. I'm sad I didn't make it to that meeting.

I would (now at least) have voted for #2: OpenStack is "a collection of
independent projects that work together for some level of integration
and releases".

This is how I believe OpenStack should be seen, as I wrote on Twitter
relatively recently:

https://twitter.com/jaypipes/status/705794815338741761
https://twitter.com/jaypipes/status/705795095262441472

Best,