[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Austin summit - session recap/summary

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu May 19 15:27:21 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 08:34:40AM -0400, Paul Belanger wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:22:55PM +0100, Derek Higgins wrote:

> > > It was mostly me pushing for tripleo to move to 3rd party CI.  I still think it
> > > is the right place for tripleo however after hearing dprince's concerns I think
> > > we have a compromise for the moment. I've gone a head and done the work to
> > > upgrade tripleo-ci jenkins slave from Fedora-22 to the centos-7 DIB[1] produced by
> > > openstack-infra. Please take a moment to review the patch as it exposed 3
> > > issues.
> > >
> > > 1) CentOS 7 does not support nbd out of the box, and we can't compile a new
> > > kernel ATM. So, I've worked around the problem by converting the qcow2 image to
> > > raw format, update instack and reconverted it back to qcow2.  Ideally, if I can
> > > find where the instack.qcow2 image is build, we also produce a raw format so we
> > > don't have to do this every gate job.
> >
> > The conversion should be ok for the moment to allow use to make
> > progress, longer term
> > we'll probably need to change the libvirt domain definitions on the
> > testenvs in order to
> > be able to just generate and use a raw format.
> >

> > > 2) Jenkins slave needs more HDD space. Using centos-7 we cache data to the slave
> > > now, mostly packages and git repos.  As a result the HDD starts at 7.5GB and
> > > because the current slaves use 20GB we quickly run out of space.  Ideally we
> > > need 80GB[2] of space to be consistent with the other cloud provides we run
> > > jenkins slaves on.
> >
> > This is where we'll likely hit the biggest problems, In order to bump
> > the disk space allocated to the jenkins slaves and to simultaneously
> > take advantage of the SSD's we're going to have to look into using the
> > SSD's as a cache for the spinning disks. I havn't done this before but
> > I hope we can look into it soon.

Looks like we just ran out of space again on centos-7 DIB. 7GB for /opt/git,
10+GB for devstack-gate and the rest is converting the iamge from qcow2 to raw
and back.

Is there a diagram of how the cloud is deployed and resources? I'm having
trouble trying to figure out the setup of everything.

> > > 3) No AFS mirror in tripleo-ci[3]. To take advantage of the new centos-7 dib,
> > > openstack-infra has an AFS mirroring infrastructure in place.  As a result,
> > > we'll also need to launch one in tripleo-ci.  For the moment, I've disabled the
> > > logic to configure the mirror.  Mirrors include pypi, npm, wheel, ubuntu trusty,
> > > ubuntu precise, ceph.  We are bringing RPM mirrors online shortly.
> >
> > I'm not sure we'll get as much a benefit from this as the devstack
> > based jobs do, as is some of the mirrors you mention wouldn't be used
> > at all while others we would only make very light use of. Is it
> > possible to selectively add mirrors to the AFS mirror, or add
> > additional things that tripleo would be interested in? e.g. image
> > cache
> >
> I think you'll actually benefit from this, mostly because you no longer have to
> run your own mirror / squid servers in tripleo.  The way AFS mirrors work is
> more like a cache.
>
> Currently our AFS volumes in rax-dfw are over 1TB of data now, but since our
> jobs only access a small fraction of the data, most mirror AFS servers are only
> using about 5GB of data locally.
>
> In the case of tripleo, it will even be less since you are not running the full
> suite of job in your cloud.
>
> Right now, nothing would need to chance to selectively use mirrors, because
> AFS will only cache what is used.  As for adding things specific to tripleo, it
> could be possible, it is also possible other jobs will likely need the same bits
> too.
>
> I strongly encourage us to setup an AFS mirror.

Any feedback here? I'd like to finish off this work if possible this week, but
we seem to be in a holding pattern on this.