[openstack-dev] [nova] Wishlist bugs == (trivial) blueprint?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Mar 15 13:37:45 UTC 2016

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016, Markus Zoeller wrote:

> Long story short, I'm in favor of abandoning the use of "wishlist"
> as an importance in bug reports to track requests for enhancements.

While I'm very much in favor of limiting the amount of time issues
(of any sort) linger in launchpad[1] I worry that if we stop making
"wishlist" available as an option then people who are not well
informed about the complex system for achieving features in Nova
will have no medium to get their ideas into the system. We want
users to sometime be able to walk up, drop an idea and move on without
having to be responsible for actually doing that work. If we insist
that such ideas must go through the blueprint process then most
ideas will be left unstated.

What I think we need to do instead is fix this problem:

> * we don't have a process to transform wishlist bugs to blueprints

such that we do have a process of some kind where a wishlist idea
either gets an owner who starts the blueprint process (because it is
just that cool) or dies from lack of attention.

It's clear, though, that we already have a huge debt in bug/issue
management so adding yet another task is hard to contemplate.

I think we can address some of that by more quickly expiring bugs
that have had no recent activity or attention, on the assumption
that:

* They will come back up again if they are good ideas or real bugs.
* Lack of attention is a truthy signal of either lack of resources or lack
   of importance.

What needs to happen is that fewer things which are not actionable
or nobody is interested in show up when traversing the bugs looking
for something to work on.

I'm happy to help some of this become true, in part because of [1]
below.

[1] I've recently spent a bit of time chasing bugs tagged
"scheduler" and far too many of them are so old that it's impossible
to tell whether they matter any more, and many of them are confused
by patches and people who have gone in and out of existence. It's
challenging to tease out what can be done and the information has
very little archival value. It should go off the radar. Having a
bunch of stuff that looks like it needs to be done but never
actually is is stop energy and depressing.

--
Chris Dent               (¨s¡ã¡õ¡ã)¨s¦à©ß©¥©ß            http://anticdent.org/