[openstack-dev] [nova] Wishlist bugs == (trivial) blueprint?

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Tue Mar 15 13:13:28 UTC 2016

Long story short, I'm in favor of abandoning the use of "wishlist"
as an importance in bug reports to track requests for enhancements.

The reason I bring this up is [1] which I closed as invalid because
I saw it as a RFE. jichenjc disagreed with my approach there.
I'm asking here on the ML to check what the common understanding is.

My reasons to *not* use "wishlist" are:
* the absence of a feature is not a bug
* a bug report describes a faulty behavior of existing features
* we don't have a process to transform wishlist bugs to blueprints
* wishlist bugs could be used to sneak in features after the feature
  freeze
* using a bug report bypasses the blueprint approval process
* using "wishlist" as an importance below "low" is a granularity which
  doesn't help

We have ~160 bug reports which are set to "wishlist" and are in an
open state. 2/3 of them are older than 1 year and would need a new
assessment if they are still valid. As we have enough valid bugs open
I'm not sure which benefit we have to keep them open and who would do
the new assessment.

Alternative:
mriedem used a combination of "wishlist" + "opinion" (a closed state)
in [2], which does also make sense to me, as it is easy to query.
Not sure who would do that though.