[openstack-dev] [tempest][nova][defcore] Add option to disable some strict response checking for interop testing

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Jun 14 21:42:16 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Matthew Treinish's message of 2016-06-14 15:12:45 -0400:
> [...]
> either as an extension (which themselves are going away [1]) or another service
> that wraps nova or imitates nova. I'm personally not comfortable saying those
> extras are ever part of the OpenStack APIs.
>
> > We have basically three options.
> >
> > 1. Tell deployers who are trying to do the right for their immediate
> >    users that they can't use the trademark.
> >
> > 2. Flag the related tests or remove them from the DefCore enforcement
> >    suite entirely.
> >
> > 3. Be flexible about giving consumers of Tempest time to meet the
> >    new requirement by providing a way to disable the checks.
> >
> > Option 1 goes against our own backwards compatibility policies.
>
> I don't think backwards compatibility policies really apply to what what define
> as the set of tests that as a community we are saying a vendor has to pass to
> say they're OpenStack. From my perspective as a community we either take a hard
> stance on this and say to be considered an interoperable cloud (and to get the
> trademark) you have to actually have an interoperable product. We slowly ratchet
> up the requirements every 6 months, there isn't any implied backwards
> compatibility in doing that. You passed in the past but not in the newer stricter
> guidelines.
>
> Also, even if I did think it applied, we're not talking about a change which
> would fall into breaking that. The change was introduced a year and half ago
> during kilo and landed a year ago during liberty:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/156130/
>
> That's way longer than our normal deprecation period of 3 months and a release
> boundary.
>

> > Option 2 gives us no winners and actually reduces the interoperability
> > guarantees we already have in place.
> >
> > Option 3 applies our usual community standard of slowly rolling
> > forward while maintaining compatibility as broadly as possible.
>
> Except in this case there isn't actually any compatibility being maintained.
> We're saying that we can't make the requirements for interoperability testing
> stricter until all the vendors who were passing in the past are able to pass
> the stricter version.
>

> > No one is suggesting that a permanent, or even open-ended, exception
> > be granted.
>
> Sure, I agree an permanent or open-ended exception would be even worse. But, I
> still think as a community we need to draw a hard line in the sand here. Just
> because this measure is temporary doesn't make it any more palatable.
>
> By doing this, even as a temporary measure, we're saying it's ok to call things
> an OpenStack API when you add random gorp to the responses. Which is something we've
> very clearly said as a community is the exact opposite of the case, which the
> testing reflects. I still contend just because some vendors were running old
> versions of tempest and old versions of openstack where their incompatible API
> changes weren't caught doesn't mean they should be given pass now.

Nobody is saying random gorp is OK, and I'm not sure "line in the
sand" rhetoric is really constructive. The issue is not with the
nature of the API policies, it's with the implementation of those
policies and how they were rolled out.

DefCore defines its rules using named tests in Tempest.  If these
new enforcement policies had been applied by adding new tests to
Tempest, then DefCore could have added them using its processes
over a period of time and we wouldn't have had any issues. That's
not what happened. Instead, the behavior of a bunch of *existing*
tests changed. As a result, deployments that have not changed fail
tests that they used to pass, without any action being taken on the
deployer's part. We've moved the goal posts on our users in a way
that was not easily discoverable, because it couldn't be tracked
through the (admittedly limited) process we have in place for doing
that tracking.

So, we want a way to get the test results back to their existing
status, which will then let us roll adoption forward smoothly instead
of lurching from "pass" to "fail" to "pass".

We should, separately, address the process issues and the limitations
this situation has exposed.  That may mean changing the way DefCore
defines its policies, or tracks things, or uses Tempest.  For
example, in the future, we may want tie versions of Tempest to
versions of the trademark more closely, so that it's possible for
someone running the Mitaka version of OpenStack to continue to use
the Mitaka version of Tempest and not have to upgrade Tempest in
order to retain their trademark (maybe that's how it already works?).
We may also need to consider that test implementation details may
change, and have a review process within DefCore to help expose
those changes to make them clearer to deployers.

Fixing the process issue may also mean changing the way we implement
things in Tempest. In this case, adding a flag helps move ahead
more smoothly. Perhaps we adopt that as a general policy in the
future when we make underlying behavioral changes like this to
existing tests.  Perhaps instead we have a policy that we do not
change the behavior of existing tests in such significant ways, at
least if they're tagged as being used by DefCore. I don't know --
those are things we need to discuss.

Doug