[openstack-dev] [nova][nova-docker] Retiring nova-docker project

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 09:03:16 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 10:11:59AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Matt Riedemann wrote:
> > [...]
> > Expand the numbers to 6 months and you'll see only 13 commits.
> >
> > It's surprisingly high in the user survey (page 39):
> >
> > https://www.openstack.org/assets/survey/April-2016-User-Survey-Report.pdf
> >
> > So I suspect most users/deployments are just running their own forks.
>
> Why ? Is it completely unusable as it stands ? 13 commits in 6 months sounds
> like enough activity to keep something usable (if it was usable in the first
> place). We have a lot of (official) projects and libraries with less
> activity than that :)
>
> I'm not sure we should be retiring an unofficial project if it's usable,
> doesn't have critical security issues and is used by a number of people...
> Now, if it's unusable and abandoned, that's another story.

Nova explicitly provides *zero* stable APIs for out of tree drivers to
use. Changes to Nova internals will reliably break out of tree drivers
at least once during a development cycle, often more. So you really do
need someone committed to updating out of tree drivers to cope with the
fact that they're using an explicitly unstable API. We actively intend
to keep breaking out of tree drivers as often as suits Nova's best
interests.

Regards,
Daniel