[openstack-dev] Spam of patches (was: [trove][neutron][cinder][swift][ceilometer][nova][keystone][sahara][glance][neutron-lbaas][imm] stylistic changes to code, how do we handle them?)

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 19:17:55 UTC 2016

On 15:32 Jan 12, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12 2016, Amrith Kumar wrote:
>
> > My question to the ML is this, should stylistic changes of this kind be handled
> > in a consistent way across all projects, maybe with a hacking rule and some
> > discussion on the ML first? After all, if this change is worthwhile, it is
> > worth ensuring that this construct that we are seeking to eliminate, does not
> > reenter the code base.
>
> This is not stylistic, these are actual changes that can break the code
> for no good reason. I've already -2'ed the Ceilometer one.
>
> Honestly, this kind of change are getting more and more a problem to us.
> People invent a false bug, maybe report it to LP and mass-assign
> projects, and then spam all the projects without any discussion before.
> The worse thing is that most of these patches are wrong or incorrect,
> add code-churn that just pollutes project history for no benefit.
>
> At the beginning, I had hope, and was being patient and tried to mentor
> these new people with the hope that they'll learn and stick around. None
> stayed. Is it just a "get me an free ATC pass" behavior, like someone
> suggested?
>
> Now the spam amount is getting so high (several of these patches per
> week these days) that I can't afford to be so patient and gentle
> anymore, and I just -2 the patch with a brief explanation. I also have
> to use the "mute bug mail" feature of Launchpad a lot, since I get
> spammed by all the changes done the mass-assigned Launchpad bugs.
>
> So, how what can we do to fix that? It seems we're not communicating
> proper behavior on how to jump into OpenStack to contribute and that
> those "contributors" are not used to FOSS communities.

FWIW Doug Hellmann mentioned this on the list later on [1]. If you find
yourself going about making changes across multiple projects like this, you
should start a discussion first.

I think it'll be useful for this to be mentioned in the new contributors guide,
after it's improved. I'll make a note about this now.

[1] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-January/084133.html

--
Mike Perez