[openstack-dev] you almost never need to change every repository

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jan 14 18:12:17 UTC 2016

We've started seeing a lot of changes that tweak the same thing across
many, many repositories. While it's good to have standardization, I
think it's safe to say that if you find yourself making the same change
to more than a few repositories at once, we should be looking for
another way to have that change applied.

I don't want to pick on individuals, because this isn't a new
situation and the specific examples in the review queue right now
aren't unique.  But as a general rule, if you think you need to
change any of the build configuration files of every single project
and you're not involved in a major initiative to roll out something
new like a python version upgrade or other project-wide change,
that's probably an indication that there is something else going
on and we should look for a work-around for the issue you're hitting.

So, if you start finding yourself making the same change over and over
in a lot of projects, please start a conversation here on the mailing
list before you go too far. It's quite likely that someone else has
already encountered and resolved the issue you've found.

Thanks,
Doug