[openstack-dev] [trove][neutron][cinder][swift][ceilometer][nova][keystone][sahara][glance][neutron-lbaas][imm] stylistic changes to code, how do we handle them?

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 14:45:28 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 08:51 AM, Amrith Kumar wrote:
> My question to the ML is this, should stylistic changes of this kind be handled in a consistent way across all projects, maybe with a hacking rule and some discussion on the ML first? After all, if this change is worthwhile, it is worth ensuring that this construct that we are seeking to eliminate, does not reenter the code base.

in general, i would prefer to leave these stylistic choices up to
individual projects. the specific change that is being proposed may make
sense for some projects but not for others.

i like the idea of a "hacking rule" or some sort of coding style guides,
but i'm sceptical about creating some sort of openstack coding guide.
i'm happy with us continuing to use pep8 and the individual projects'
guidance as the bar.

> For what it is worth, I agree with Vitaly Grindev [sahara, in review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/266230/1]. I think the code before the change was more intuitive and readable.

+1

regards,