[openstack-dev] [puppet] [oslo] Proposal of adding puppet-oslo to OpenStack

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Tue Jan 19 19:23:18 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Xingchao Yu <yuxcer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Emilien:
>
>      Thanks for your efforts on this topic, I didn't attend V release
> summit and missed related discussion about puppet-oslo.
>
>      As the reason for not using a unified way to manage oslo_* parameters
> is there maybe exist different oslo_* version between openstack projects.
>
>      I have an idea to solve this potential problem,we can maintain
> several versions of puppet-oslo, each module can map to different version
> of puppet-oslo.
>
>     It would be something like follows: (the map info is not true, just
> for example)
>
>     In Mitaka release
>     puppet-nova maps to puppet-oslo with 8.0.0
>     puppet-designate maps to puppet-oslo with 7.0.0
>     puppet-murano maps to puppet-oslo with 6.0.0
>
>     In Newton release
>     puppet-nova maps to puppet-oslo with 9.0.0
>     puppet-designate maps to puppet-oslo with 9.0.0
>     puppet-murano maps to puppet-oslo with 7.0.0

For the simplest case of puppet infrastructure configuration, which is a
single puppetmaster with one environment, you cannot have multiple versions
of a single puppet module installed. This means you absolutely cannot have
an openstack infrastructure depend on having different versions of a single
module installed. In your example, a user would not  be able to use both
puppet-nova and puppet-designate since they are using different versions of
the puppet-oslo module.

When we put out puppet modules, we guarantee that version X.x.x of a given
module works with the same version of every other module, and this proposal
would totally break that guarantee.

>     And by the way, most of projects' requirements.txt
> and test-requirements.txt are maintained automatically by requirements
> project(https://github.com/openstack/requirements), they have the same
> version of oslo.* projects.
>     So there maybe minor projects would need extra efforts.
>
> If projects seem to be converging together, maybe this isn't such an issue
anymore? I have no insight here.

Colleen