[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] Installing networking-* pythonclient extensions to multiple locations

Kevin Carter kevin.carter at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Feb 24 23:08:37 UTC 2016

Hi Javeria,

We could call out our supported sub-projects in the `openstack_services.yml` file and install them as part of the plugin backend similar to what we've done with the "neutron_lbaas" package[0][1]. However, this would not specifically fix the neutron clients in all places as you've mentioned. While I can make a case for the utility container to get the extra neutron-client-extensions, I'm not sure we need them everywhere. Do we suspect a user or service may need access to the additional client extensions from the Heat or Nova venvs or anywhere else for that matter?

[0] - https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible/blob/master/playbooks/roles/os_neutron/defaults/main.yml#L349

[1] - https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible/blob/master/playbooks/defaults/repo_packages/openstack_services.yml#L85-L87

--

Kevin Carter
IRC: cloudnull

________________________________
From: Javeria Khan <javeriak at plumgrid.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2016 5:09 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] Installing networking-* pythonclient extensions to multiple locations

Hey everyone,

At the moment OSA installs the python-neutronclient in a few locations including the containers neutron-server, utility, heat, tempest.

Now neutron has a bunch of sub-projects like networking-l2gw [1], networking-bgpvpn [2] networking-plumgrid [5] etc, which have their own python-neutronclient CLI extensions [3][4][5] in their respective repositories and packages.

Since these CLI extensions are not part of the neutron packages and must be enabled by installing the additional networking-* packages. We don't install most of these sub-projects in OSA at the moment, however moving forward do you think its reasonable to install said packages in every location that installs the neutron client inside the OSA plays? If so, then how would you recommend we go about it since the installation will be conditional on the enabling of the relevant neutron subproject features?

[1] https://github.com/openstack/networking-l2gw
[2] https://github.com/openstack/networking-bgpvpn
[3] https://github.com/openstack/networking-l2gw/tree/master/networking_l2gw/l2gatewayclient
[4] https://github.com/openstack/networking-bgpvpn/tree/master/networking_bgpvpn/neutronclient