[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Feb 23 09:44:37 UTC 2016

Henry Nash wrote:
>> On 22 Feb 2016, at 17:45, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>>
>> Amrith Kumar wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> As a result of this proposal, there will still be four events each year, two "OpenStack Summit" events and two "MidCycle" events.
>>
>> Actually, the OpenStack summit becomes the midcycle event. The new separated contributors-oriented event[tm] happens at the beginning of the new cycle.
>
> So in general a well thought out proposal - and it certainly helps address some of the early concerns over a “simplistic” split. I was also worrying, however, about the reduction in developer face time - it wasn’t immediate clear that the main summit could be treated as a developer midcycle. Is the idea that we just let this be informally organized by the projects, or tha there would at least be room set aside for each project (but without all the formal cross-project structure/agenda that there is in a main developer summit)?

How exactly the upstream sessions would be organized at the main
"summit" event is still an open discussion.

I hear you and John worrying about reducing developer "face time" from 4
to 2 events per year. On one hand I really think that with this proposed
split, most teams will get enough face-to-face time with one focused
event, or will be fine with holding online midcycle sprints. It should
go a long way to reduce travel costs for most contributors to 2 events
per year. Worries about exploding contributors travel costs are one of
the issues that this proposal aims to address.

On the other hand, *some* teams may still need another face-time event
-- initial team building, solve a very specific issue, whatever. They
have the opportunity to leverage the main summit as a midcycle venue
space, or they could even organize their own separate thing. This
proposal doesn't reduce any dev face time. It just makes it less likely
that midcycle events would be needed, and provides a default venue to
hold them in case you end up still needing them.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)