[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Feb 16 19:32:02 UTC 2016

Most of the "open core" issues we've run into time and time again were because one company had control of both an open and a closed edition and used their sole control to prevent features from entering the open edition because they wanted to make money off of it in the closed edition.

This most certainly does not apply to Poppy. They have both things that make an open source project truly open. an open license, and open governance. Its the latter thing that prevents vendor lockin. The irony is, Poppy wants to join OpenStack to cement that governance to prevent vendor control which which is being used to try and exclude it.

The nice thing about standardizing on Poppy would be it might lower the bar for a truly open CDN to be created because there might finally be visible enough demand for it. "My users want the api, and there isn't an open backend.. let me go write one...."

The OpenSource world steps up with an implementation of something when it finally decides to scratch the itch. an open CDN has not been a significant enough itch to scratch so far.

An open api for CDN's on the other hand does seem like a useful thing to me, separate from an open CDN to back it. I'd greatly prefer to write apps against such a system instead of targeting the proprietary api's directly. It makes the open source code I write more open.

Yes, this is a sucky position to be in, but I think in this one case, its the lessor of two evils.

Thanks,
Kevin