[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Tue Feb 16 19:17:58 UTC 2016

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Is there? I thought the point was OpenCDN isn't actually usable. Maybe
> someone from the Poppy team can provide more details about that.

That is certainly a problem. However I think I would lean on Sean
Dague's argument about how Neutron had an open source solution that
needed a lot of TLC. The point being that at least they had 1 option.
Not zero options.

And Dean's point about gce and aws API translation into OpenStack
Compute is also very relevant. We have precedence for doing API
translation layers that take some foreign API and translate it into
"openstackanese"

I think Poppy would have a lot easier time getting into OpenStack were
it to take the steps to build a back-end that would do the required
operations to create a CDN - using a multi-region OpenStack cloud. Or
even adopting an open source CDN. Something! Anything really!

Yes, it's a lot of work, but without that, as I think others have
stated - where's the OpenStack part?

Like that Wendy's commercial from way back: "Where's the beef?"

--
Sean M. Collins