[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 16:03:33 UTC 2016

On 16/02/16 19:17 +0000, Sean M. Collins wrote:
>Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Is there? I thought the point was OpenCDN isn't actually usable. Maybe
>> someone from the Poppy team can provide more details about that.
>
>That is certainly a problem. However I think I would lean on Sean
>Dague's argument about how Neutron had an open source solution that
>needed a lot of TLC. The point being that at least they had 1 option.
>Not zero options.
>
>And Dean's point about gce and aws API translation into OpenStack
>Compute is also very relevant. We have precedence for doing API
>translation layers that take some foreign API and translate it into
>"openstackanese"
>
>I think Poppy would have a lot easier time getting into OpenStack were
>it to take the steps to build a back-end that would do the required
>operations to create a CDN - using a multi-region OpenStack cloud. Or
>even adopting an open source CDN. Something! Anything really!
>
>Yes, it's a lot of work, but without that, as I think others have
>stated - where's the OpenStack part?

That's not Poppy's business, fwiw. We can't ask a provisioning project to also
be in the business of providing a data API. As others have mentioned, it's just
unfortunate that there's no open source solution for CDNs. TBH, I'd rather have
Poppy not running functional tests (because this is basically what this
discussion is coming down to) than having the team working on a
half-implemented, kinda CDN hack just to make the CI happy.

If someone wants to work on a CDN service, fine. That sounds awesome but let's
not push the Poppy team down that road. They have a clear goal and mission.
OpenStack's requirements are a bit too narrow for them.

That said, as Monty mentioned in the TC meeting, deploying CDN's is not
necessary something a cloud wants to do. Providing a service that provisions
CDN's is more likely to be used by a cloud provider.

Cheers,
Flavio