[openstack-dev] [election][TC] TC Candidacy

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Sep 29 17:54:29 UTC 2015

Hi!

I would like to continue serving on the TC, if you'll have me.

Although past performance is no guarantee of future profits, I think
it's worth noting that I've been doing this for a while now. I was on
the precursor to the TC, the Project Policy Board. Over the time I've
been the instigator or a key player in several major initiatives, such
as Stackforge, the Project Testing Interface and The Big Tent.

Thing is, that really doesn't matter, because while understanding the
past is important if you want to avoid re-learning the same lessons, we
need to be firmly focused on the future, and to be willing to make
changes as needed to accommodate the reality we find ourselves in.

I think it's time for the TC to take a more active position on technical
design issues.

This past cycle, Sean and Anne wrote up a spec that came from the last
summit around standardization of the keystone catalog data. Doug dove in
to issues around Glance upload. Both are instances where clear technical
leadership and design was needed, and in both instances we understand
that it goes hand in hand with being clear to our deployers and end
users about what it is that we expect via interaction with DefCore.

I want to see more things like that, and I'd like to be involved with
moving the TC another step down the road from being a "policy board" to
being a "technical committee".

On the social side, I'd like to work with people on figuring out how to
expand our capacity for trust across the project. We set up all of our
systems and culture initially to protect against bad-faith and
antagonistic behavior - but we've been doing this long enough now that I
think the assumption of bad and protective behavior is counter
productive. We're never going to get the big issues fixed if we can't
land hard patches.

Finally, I think we need to re-think our mission.

    The OpenStack Mission: to produce the ubiquitous Open Source Cloud
    Computing platform that will meet the needs of public and private
    clouds regardless of size, by being simple to implement and
    massively scalable.

That mission is about clouds, and I think it has completely forgotten a
key ingredient - users. Focusing on meeting the needs of the clouds
themselves has gotten us to an amazing place, but in order to take the
next step we have to start putting the consumers of OpenStack Clouds
front and center in our thinking.

Thank you for the trust you've placed in me so far, and I hope I've
lived up to it well enough for you to keep me around.

Monty