[openstack-dev] [magnum]swarm + compose = k8s?

Egor Guz EGuz at walmartlabs.com
Tue Sep 29 05:17:40 UTC 2015

Also I belive docker compose is just command line tool which doesn’t have any api or scheduling features.
But during last Docker Conf hackathon PayPal folks implemented docker compose executor for Mesos (https://github.com/mohitsoni/compose-executor)
which can give you pod like experience.

―
Egor

From: Adrian Otto <adrian.otto at rackspace.com<mailto:adrian.otto at rackspace.com>>
Date: Monday, September 28, 2015 at 22:03
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [magnum]swarm + compose = k8s?

Wanghua,

I do follow your logic, but docker-compose only needs the docker API to operate. We are intentionally avoiding re-inventing the wheel. Our goal is not to replace docker swarm (or other existing systems), but to compliment it/them. We want to offer users of Docker the richness of native APIs and supporting tools. This way they will not need to compromise features or wait longer for us to implement each new feature as it is added. Keep in mind that our pod, service, and replication controller resources pre-date this philosophy. If we started out with the current approach, those would not exist in Magnum.

Thanks,

Adrian