[openstack-dev] [magnum]swarm + compose = k8s?

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 29 04:49:45 UTC 2015

> From: 王华 <wanghua.humble at gmail.com>
> Date: 09/28/2015 11:34 PM
> Subject: [openstack-dev] [magnum]swarm + compose = k8s?
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Magnum now exposes service, pod, etc to users in kubernetes coe, but
> exposes container in swarm coe. As I know, swarm is only a scheduler
> of container, which is like nova in openstack. Docker compose is a
> orchestration program which is like heat in openstack. k8s is the
> combination of scheduler and orchestration. So I think it is better
> to expose the apis in compose to users which are at the same level as
k8s.

Why should the users be deprived of direct access to the Swarm API when it
is there?

Note also that Compose addresses more general, and differently focused,
orchestration than Kubernetes; the latter only offers homogenous scaling
groups --- which a docker-compose.yaml file can not even describe.

Regards,
Mike