[openstack-dev] Compute API (Was Re: [nova][cinder] how to handle AZ bug 1496235?)

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 15:11:45 UTC 2015

On 09/26/2015 12:04 AM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> +1 from me, although I thought heat was supposed to be this thing?
>
> Maybe there should be a 'warm' project or something ;)
>
> Or we can call it 'bbs' for 'building block service' (obviously not
> bulletin board system); ask said service to build a set of blocks into
> well defined structures and let it figure out how to make that happen...
>
> This though most definitely requires cross-project agreement though so
> I'd hope we can reach that somehow (before creating a halfway done new
> orchestration thing that is halfway integrated with a bunch of other
> apis that do one quarter of the work in ten different ways).

Indeed, I don't think I understand what need heat is failing to fulfill
here? A user can easily have a template that contains a single server
and a volume.

Heat's job is to be an API that lets you define a result[1] and then
calls the APIs of whatever projects provide those things.

1: in this case, the result is "a working server with network and storage"

--
Ryan Brown / Senior Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.