[openstack-dev] [Heat] Assumptions regarding extensions to OpenStack api's

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Sep 25 20:08:19 UTC 2015

On 09/25/2015 02:32 PM, Pratik Mallya wrote:
> Hello Heat Team,
>
> I was wondering if OpenStack Heat assumes that the Nova extensions api
> would always exist in a cloud? My impression was that since these
> features are extensions, they may or may not be implemented by the cloud
> provider and hence Heat must not rely on it being present.
>
> My question is prompted by this code change: [0] where it is assumed
> that the os-interfaces extension [1] is implemented.
>
> If we cannot rely on that assumption, then that code would need to be
> changed with a 404 guard since that endpoint may not exist and the nova
> client may thus raise a 404.

Correct. Extensions are not everywhere and so you must either query the
extensions API to find out what extensions the cloud has, or you must
404 guard.

Of course, you can't ONLY 404 guard, because the cloud may also throw
unauthorized - so querying the nova extension API is the more correct
way to deal with it.