[openstack-dev] repairing so many OpenStack components writing configuration files in /usr/etc

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hpe.com
Thu Sep 24 17:10:51 UTC 2015

Hi Thomas,
  I can't speak to the other packages, but as far as os-brick goes,  the
/usr/local/etc stuff is simply for the embedded
rootwrap filter that os-brick is currently exporting.   You can see it here:
https://github.com/openstack/os-brick/blob/master/etc/os-brick/rootwrap.d/os-brick.filters
https://github.com/openstack/os-brick/blob/master/setup.cfg#L30-L31

The intention was to have devstack pull that file and dump it into
/etc/nova and /etc/cinder
for usage, but this has several problems.   We have plans to talk about
a workable solution in Tokyo, which will most likely embed the
rootwrap filter file into the package itself and it won't go into
/usr/local/etc.

As of the current release of os-brick, no project is currently using
that rootwrap filter file directly.
For Liberty, we decided just to manually update the nova and cinder's
filter files manually for all of
the entries.

Walt