[openstack-dev] [Heat] Integration Test Questions

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Mon Sep 21 02:01:06 UTC 2015

On 20/09/15 20:24, Qiming Teng wrote:
> Speaking of adding tests, we need hands on improving Heat API tests in
> Tempest [1]. The current test cases there is a weird combination of API
> tests, resource type tests, template tests etc. If we decide to move
> functional tests back to individual projects, some test cases may need
> to be deleted from tempest.
>
> Another important reason of adding API tests into Tempest is because
> the orchestration service is assessed [2] by the DefCore team using
> tests in Tempest, not in-tree test cases.
>
> The heat team has done a lot (and killed a lot) work to make the API as
> stable as possible. Most of the time, there would be nothing new for
> testing. The API surface tests may become nothing but waste of time if
> we keep running them for every single patch.
Thanks for raising this. Wherever they live we do need a dedicated set
of tests which ensure the REST API is fully exercised.
> So... my suggestions:
>
> - Remove unnecessary tests in Tempest;
agreed
> - Stop adding API tests to Heat locally;
> - Add API tests to Tempest instead, in an organized way. (refer to [3])
I would prefer an alternative approach which would result in the same
end state:
- port heat_integrationtests to tempest-lib
- build a suite of REST API tests in heat_integrationtests
- work with defcore to identify which heat_integrationtests tests to
move to tempest