[openstack-dev] [Heat] Integration Test Questions

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sun Sep 20 08:24:57 UTC 2015

Speaking of adding tests, we need hands on improving Heat API tests in
Tempest [1]. The current test cases there is a weird combination of API
tests, resource type tests, template tests etc. If we decide to move
functional tests back to individual projects, some test cases may need
to be deleted from tempest.

Another important reason of adding API tests into Tempest is because
the orchestration service is assessed [2] by the DefCore team using
tests in Tempest, not in-tree test cases.

The heat team has done a lot (and killed a lot) work to make the API as
stable as possible. Most of the time, there would be nothing new for
testing. The API surface tests may become nothing but waste of time if
we keep running them for every single patch.

So... my suggestions:

- Remove unnecessary tests in Tempest;
- Stop adding API tests to Heat locally;
- Add API tests to Tempest instead, in an organized way. (refer to [3])

[1]
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tempest/tree/tempest/api/orchestration/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/216983/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/210080/