[openstack-dev] [all][ptl][release] final liberty cycle client library releases needed

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Sat Sep 19 13:04:19 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Renat Akhmerov's message of 2015-09-19 00:35:49 +0300:
> Doug,
>
> python-mistralclient-1.1.0 (also on pypi) is the final release for Liberty. Here’s the patch updating global-requirements.txt: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/225330/ <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/225330/> (upper-constraints.txt should be soon updated automatically, in my understanding)

Because we're in requirements freeze, we're trying not to update any of
the global-requirements.txt entries unless absolutely necessary. At this
point, no projects can be depending on the previously unreleased
features in 1.1.0, so as long as python-mistralclient doesn't have a cap
on the major version allowed the requirements list, it should only be
necessary to update the constraints.

Please update the constraints file by hand, only changing
python-mistralclient. That will allow us to land the update without
changing any other libraries in the test infrastructure (the automated
update submits all of the changes together, and we have several
outstanding right now).

> I really apologize because I should have probably followed ML better and attended corresponding meetings in order to know all of this release management stuff.  But I still have a number questions on release management like:

Yes, clearly we're going to have to do a better job of communicating
with project teams next cycle. I welcome suggestions for that.

> So far I have been doing release management for Mistral myself (~2 years), and the last year I’ve been trying to be aligned with OpenStack schedule. In may 2015 Mistral was accepted into Big Tent so does that mean I’m not longer responsible for doing that? Or I can still do it on my own? Even with final Mistral client for Liberty I’ve done it just myself (didn’t create a stable branch though yet), maybe I shouldn’t have. Clarifications would be helpful.

It means you can now ask the release management team to take over for
the library, but that is not an automatic change.

> Same question about stable branches.

Same, for the stable maintenance team.

> Does this all apply to all Big Tent projects?

Yes, and to all horizontal teams. Every project team is expected
to provide liaisons to all horizontal teams now. The degree to which
a horizontal team does the work for you is up to each pair of teams
to negotiate.

> What exactly is upper-constraints.txt for? I’m still not sure why global-requirements.txt is not enough.

global-requirements.txt tells what versions of libraries we are
compatible with. upper-constraints.txt tells the most recent version of
libraries actually being used in tests running in our CI system.
Currently that only applies to integration tests, but the work to apply
it to unit tests is coming along.

> What’s the best source of info about release management? Is it complete?

Documentation is one of the weak points right now, and we'll be
addressing that with clearer documentation for milestone dates and
expectations and probably some centralization so there is only one
place folks need to go. Right now we have a section in the project
team guide [1], descriptions of the tools in the release-tools
REAMDE [2], and for managed teams we have instructions in the
releases repository [3].  Deadlines are listed in the wiki [4].

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/release-management.html
[2] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/release-tools/tree/README.rst
[3] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/releases/tree/README.rst
[4] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Liberty_Release_Schedule