[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] To NTP, or not to NTP, that is the question

Matthew Mosesohn mmosesohn at mirantis.com
Fri Sep 18 13:21:00 UTC 2015

Major,

in Fuel, we've dealt with this problem for a long time in its varying
degrees of unpleasantness. Some virtualization platforms, such as
VirtualBox, are very prone to time drift. Hardware nodes, thankfully, don't
suffer so badly.

Time sync is very important for RabbitMQ, Corosync, and Ceph, in addition
to those items you mentioned above. I haven't seen swift itself break due
to time issues, but you may be right.

The most ideal situation is to point all hosts to public NTP pool servers.
Barring that, elect 1 host to base its time by its hardware clock, and then
direct all other hosts to sync time against that one host. This has major
issues when you're doing virtual deployments with snapshot/revert and
experiencing major time skew, so you may need extra VM management scripts
to manually sync time again after revert.

Best Regards,
Matthew Mosesohn