[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] To NTP, or not to NTP, that is the question

Major Hayden major at mhtx.net
Fri Sep 18 13:03:06 UTC 2015

Hey there,

I start working on a bug[1] last night about adding a managed NTP configuration to openstack-ansible hosts.  My patch[2] gets chrony up and running with configurable NTP servers, but I'm still struggling to meet the "Proposal" section of the bug where the author has asked for non-infra physical nodes to get their time from the infra nodes.  I can't figure out how to make it work for AIO builds when one physical host is part of all of the groups. ;)

I'd argue that time synchronization is critical for a few areas:

  1) Security/auditing when comparing logs
  2) Troubleshooting when comparing logs
  3) I've been told swift is time-sensitive
  4) MySQL/Galera don't like time drift

However, there's a strong argument that this should be done by deployers, and not via openstack-ansible.  I'm still *very* new to the project and I'd like to hear some feedback from other folks.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/+bug/1413018
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/225006/

--
Major Hayden