[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][devstack] New proposed 'default' network model

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Sep 15 23:33:18 UTC 2015

On 09/15/2015 08:28 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 9/15/2015 10:27 AM, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
>> Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote on 09/15/2015 11:04:07 AM:
>>
>>  > a) an update to python-novaclient to allow a named network to be
>> passed
>>  > to satisfy the "you have more than one network" - the nics argument is
>>  > still useful for more complex things
>>
>> I am not using the latest, but rather Juno.  I find that in many places
>> the Neutron CLI insists on a UUID when a name could be used.  Three
>> cheers for any campaign to fix that.
>
> It's my understanding that network names in neutron, like security
> groups, are not unique, that's why you have to specify a UUID.

Yah.

EXCEPT - we already error when the user does not specify the network
specifically enough, so there is nothing stopping us from trying the
obvious thing and the moving on. Such as:

nova boot

ERROR: There are more than one network, please specify one

nova boot --network public

\o/

OR

nova boot

ERROR: There are more than one network, please specify one

nova boot --network public

ERROR: There are more than one network named 'public', please specify one

nova boot --network ecc967b6-5c01-11e5-b218-4c348816caa1

\o/

These are successive attempts at a simple operation that should be
simple, and as the situation becomes increasingly complex, so does the
necessity of the user's response.