[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][devstack] New proposed 'default' network model

Mohammad Banikazemi mb at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 15 19:21:03 UTC 2015

"Fox, Kevin M" <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote on 09/15/2015 02:57:10 PM:

> From: "Fox, Kevin M" <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov>
> Date: 09/15/2015 02:59 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][devstack] New proposed
> 'default' network model
>
> Most projects let you specify a name, and only force you to use a
> uuid IFF there is a conflict, leaving it up to the user to decide if
> they want the ease of use of names and being careful to name things,
> or having to use uuid's and not.

That is how Neutron works as well. If it doesn't in some cases, then those
are bugs that need to be filed and fixed.

mb at ubuntu14:~$ neutron net-create x1
Created a new network:
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Field                     | Value                                |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| admin_state_up            | True                                 |
| id                        | 02fd014d-3a84-463f-a158-317411528ff3 |
| mtu                       | 0                                    |
| name                      | x1                                   |
| port_security_enabled     | True                                 |
| provider:network_type     | vxlan                                |
| provider:physical_network |                                      |
| provider:segmentation_id  | 1037                                 |
| router:external           | False                                |
| shared                    | False                                |
| status                    | ACTIVE                               |
| subnets                   |                                      |
| tenant_id                 | ce56abd5661f4140a5df98927a6f54d8     |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
mb at ubuntu14:~$ neutron net-delete x1
Deleted network: x1

mb at ubuntu14:~$ neutron net-create x1
Created a new network:
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Field                     | Value                                |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| admin_state_up            | True                                 |
| id                        | db95539c-1c33-4791-a87f-608872ed3e86 |
| mtu                       | 0                                    |
| name                      | x1                                   |
| port_security_enabled     | True                                 |
| provider:network_type     | vxlan                                |
| provider:physical_network |                                      |
| provider:segmentation_id  | 1010                                 |
| router:external           | False                                |
| shared                    | False                                |
| status                    | ACTIVE                               |
| subnets                   |                                      |
| tenant_id                 | ce56abd5661f4140a5df98927a6f54d8     |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
mb at ubuntu14:~$ neutron net-create x1
Created a new network:
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Field                     | Value                                |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| admin_state_up            | True                                 |
| id                        | b2b3dd55-0f6f-46e7-aaef-c4a89a5d1ef9 |
| mtu                       | 0                                    |
| name                      | x1                                   |
| port_security_enabled     | True                                 |
| provider:network_type     | vxlan                                |
| provider:physical_network |                                      |
| provider:segmentation_id  | 1071                                 |
| router:external           | False                                |
| shared                    | False                                |
| status                    | ACTIVE                               |
| subnets                   |                                      |
| tenant_id                 | ce56abd5661f4140a5df98927a6f54d8     |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
mb at ubuntu14:~$ neutron net-delete x1
Multiple network matches found for name 'x1', use an ID to be more
specific.
mb at ubuntu14:~$ neutron net-delete db95539c-1c33-4791-a87f-608872ed3e86
Deleted network: db95539c-1c33-4791-a87f-608872ed3e86
mb at ubuntu14:~$ neutron net-delete x1
Deleted network: x1
mb at ubuntu14:~$

Best,