[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Remove Tuskar from tripleo-common and python-tripleoclient

Dougal Matthews dougal at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 16:33:43 UTC 2015

Hi all,

This is partly a heads up for everyone, but also seeking feedback on the
direction.

We are starting to move to a more general Heat workflow without the need for
Tuskar. The CLI is already in a position to do this as we can successfully
deploy without Tuskar.

Moving forward it will be much easier for us to progress if we don't need to
take Tuskar into account in tripleo-common. This will be particularly useful
when working on the overcloud deployment library and API spec [1].

Tuskar UI doesn't currently use tripleo-common (or tripleoclient) and thus
it
is safe to make this change from the UI's point of view.

I have started the process of doing this removal and posted three WIP
reviews
[2][3][4] to assess how much change was needed, I plan to tidy them up over
the next day or two. There is one for tripleo-common, python-tripleoclient
and tripleo-docs. The documentation one only removes references to Tuskar on
the CLI and doesn't remove Tuskar totally - so Tuskar UI is still covered
until it has a suitable replacement.

I don't anticipate any impact for CI as I understand that all the current CI
has migrated from deploying with Tuskar to deploying the templates directly
(Using `openstack overcloud deploy --templates` rather than --plan). I
believe it is safe to remove from python-tripleoclient as that repo is so
new. I am however unsure about the TripleO deprecation policy for tripleo-
common?

Thanks,
Dougal

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/219754