[openstack-dev] [Ansible][Infra] Moving ansible roles into big tent?

Yolanda Robla Mota yolanda.robla-mota at hpe.com
Thu Sep 10 07:31:47 UTC 2015

Hi
I will be interested as well. Having these playbooks in ansible can also
be useful
in order to integrate with infra-ansible project.
I really see that collection as a valid alternative for puppet modules,
with the advantages
that ansible can provide, but of course that moving from puppet to
ansible on infra internally
is something that cannot be done easily, and needs a wider discussion.
If we limit the scope of the ansible playbooks only to infra components,
I think that infra
namespace is the way to go, having an independent group of reviewers.

Best
Yolanda

El 09/09/15 a las 21:31, Ricardo Carrillo Cruz escribió:
> I'm interested in ansible roles for openstack-infra, but as there is
> overlap in functionality
> with the current openstack-infra puppet roles I'm not sure what's the
> stance from the
> openstack-infra core members and PTL.
>
> I think they should go to openstack-infra, since Nodepoo/Zuul/etc are
> very specific
> to the OpenStack CI.
>
> Question is if we should have a subgroup within openstack-infra
> namespace for
> 'stuff that is not used by OpenStack CI but interesting from CI
> perspective and/or
> used by other downstream groups'.
>
> Regards

> <mailto:pabelanger at redhat.com>>:
>
>     On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 06:50:38PM -0400, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On 09/08/2015 10:57 AM, Paul Belanger wrote:
>     > > Greetings,
>     > >
>     > > I wanted to start a discussion about the future of ansible /
>     ansible roles in
>     > > OpenStack. Over the last week or so I've started down the
>     ansible path, starting
>     > > my first ansible role; I've started with ansible-role-nodepool[1].
>     > >
>     > > My initial question is simple, now that big tent is upon us, I
>     would like
>     > > some way to include ansible roles into the opentack git
>     workflow.  I first
>     > > thought the role might live under openstack-infra however I am
>     not sure that
>     > > is the right place.  My reason is, -infra tents to include
>     modules they
>     > > currently run under the -infra namespace, and I don't want to
>     start the effort
>     > > to convince people to migrate.
>     >
>     > I'm wondering what would be the goal of ansible-role-nodepool
>     and what
>     > it would orchestrate exactly. I did not find README that
>     explains it,
>     > and digging into the code makes me think you try to prepare nodepool
>     > images but I don't exactly see why.
>     >
>     > Since we already have puppet-nodepool, I'm curious about the
>     purpose of
>     > this role.
>     > IMHO, if we had to add such a new repo, it would be under
>     > openstack-infra namespace, to be consistent with other repos
>     > (puppet-nodepool, etc).
>     >
>     > > Another thought might be to reach out to the
>     os-ansible-deployment team and ask
>     > > how they see roles in OpenStack moving foward (mostly the
>     reason for this
>     > > email).
>     >
>     > os-ansible-deployment aims to setup OpenStack services in containers
>     > (LXC). I don't see relation between os-ansible-deployment (openstack
> [...]

Yolanda Robla Mota
Cloud Automation and Distribution Engineer
+34 605641639
yolanda.robla-mota at hp.com