[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Plugins] Deployment order with custom role

Swann Croiset scroiset at mirantis.com
Mon Sep 7 12:27:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Igor Kalnitsky <ikalnitsky at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Hi Swann,
>
> > However, we still need deployment order between independent
> > plugins and it seems impossible to define the priorities
>
> There's no such things like priorities for now.. perhaps we can
> introduce some kind of anchors instead of priorities, but that's
> another story.

yes its another story for next release(s), anchors could reuse the actual
convention of ranges used (disk, network, software, monitoring)
that said I no sure anchors are sufficient, we still need priorities to
specify orders for independant and/or optional plugins (they don't know
each other)

> Currently the only way to synchronize two plugins is to make one to
> know about other one. That means you need to properly setup "requires"
> field:
>
>     - id: my-plugin-b-task
>       type: puppet
>       role: [my-plugin-b-role]
>       required_for: [post_deployment_end]
>       requires: [post_deployment_start, PLUGIN-A-TASK]
>       parameters:
>         puppet_manifest: some-puppet.pp
>         puppet_modules: /etc/puppet/modules
>         timeout: 3600
>         cwd: /
>
> We thought about this solution _but_ in our case we cannot because the
plugin is optional and may not be installed/enabled. So I guess this will
break things if we reference in 'require' a nonexistent plugin-a-task.
For example with LMA plugins, the LMA-Collector plugin must be
deployed/installed before LMA-Infrastructure-Alerting plugin (to avoid
false alerts UNKNOWN state) but the last may not be enabled for the
deployment.

Thanks,
> Igor

About tasks.yaml, we must support it until an equivalent 'deployment order'
is implemented with plugin-custom-role feature.