[openstack-dev] [libraries] gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-src test and major version bumps

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Sep 7 05:40:30 UTC 2015

Hi All,
    We have the test in $subject that is used for most (if not all) libraries
via the 'lib-forward-testing' job-group it's aim to to "test their proposed
commits to ensure they don't break OpenStack on their next release." [1]

This is of course a good idea.

The problem I;'m having is trying to land a patch in stable/juno which is
running devstack-gate in stable/juno except for the library in question where
it's grabbing master[2].  I think this is a problem because master has
introduced in compatible changes (and bumped $major).  So this results in
violating global-requirements and IMO an invalid test.

So what is the correct way forward?

 1. Disable lib-forward-testing on stable branches
    - This seems easy but wrong ....
 2. Use the appropriate stable/x branch for stable tests, when master has made
    a $major version bump?
 3. Something smarter that I can't see because I'm not familiar enough with
    what we can do in job definitions.

Of course I could be way off and this isn't really a problem at all.

Yours Tony.

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/jenkins/jobs/devstack-gate.yaml#n72
[2] http://logs.openstack.org/54/216954/1/check/gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-src-oslo.i18n/044dea9/logs/devstacklog.txt.gz#_2015-08-26_04_25_37_264