[openstack-dev] [fuel] OpenStack versioning in Fuel

Oleg Gelbukh ogelbukh at mirantis.com
Thu Oct 15 15:59:08 UTC 2015

Hello,

I would like to highlight a problem that we are now going to have in Fuel
regarding versioning of OpenStack.

As you know, with introduction of the Big Tent policy it was decided that
since Liberty dev cycle versioning schema of the whole project changes.
Year-based versions won't be assigned to individual projects, nor the
coordinated release is going to have unified number [1]. Individual
projects will have semver version numbers, while numbering of the release
itself seems to be dropped.

However, in Fuel there is a lot of places where we use year-based version
of OpenStack release. [2] How are we going to handle this? Shall we have
openstack_version: 2015.2 all over the place? Or we should come up with
something more sophisticated? Or just drop OpenStack version component from
our versioning schema for good?

Please, share your opinions here or in corresponding reviews.

[1] http://ttx.re/new-versioning.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/234296/

--
Best regards,