[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Driver documentation in Ironic

Ruby Loo rlooyahoo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:33:29 UTC 2015

> 2) Driver docs may not be backported to stable branches. This is a
> stable maintenance policy, not an Ironic policy. This problem is
> somewhat unique to Ironic as most major projects have deployer docs in
> the Ops guide repo, rather than in the code repo. I'm going to chat with
> some docs/stable maintenance people in Tokyo about this, however I also
> encourage you to do the same.

I think the issue of updating documentation on stable branches goes beyond
driver docs. I question whether we should be bundling the release-related
documentation with the code if it is near impossible to update that
documentation after a branch is created. For example, we have links to
release-related documentation, but they aren't correct. We released 4.2.1
(on stable/liberty branch), and the release notes there [0] don't show
release information for 4.2.1. You have to go to master [1] to see it :-(

How do the other projects do it (correctly), or is ironic the only one so
far that has in-tree documentation? It seems that after a stable branch is
cut for (some) projects, the docs team has 1 month or so beyond that to get
the documentation out. It would be great if the docs we currently maintain
in-tree could follow a similar schedule. (And how does the doc team deal
with updates to documentation for prior releases?)

--ruby

[0] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/4.2.1/releasenotes/index.html
[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/releasenotes/index.html